Monday, August 24, 2009

touchdown!

well, after a journey of somewhere around 24 hours, i touched down in cairo. it was long, but it went off without incident. i think my bags may have been THE last to come off the airplane, but other than that no issues whatsoever. and when i walked out of customs, there was Mohamed with my name on a sign. ha! he's been chauffering me around town for the past 24 hours, buying me groceries, lending me a cell phone, teaching me bits and pieces of arabic, and testing me on cairene geography. i've already had a homemade iftar feast (the evening meal that breaks the Ramadan fast). so i've been well taken care of. and too well fed. Mohamed's brother Ahmed said, "you'll notice that we'll try to feed you to death." here's to not gaining 100 pounds over the next two years...

4 comments:

Mica Clark-Peterek said...

Yeah! Welcome to Egypt! What a great adventure! Can't wait to hear more! We miss you!

Unknown said...

You made it! You are participating in religious ceremonies! The Flores' family would be so proud! Yay! I am going to make every sentence end with an exclamation mark!

Feldie said...

I'll checking in from time to time to see how things are going... glad you made it without any major problems.

Unknown said...

oh. you made it. i am so happy that man was there to get you. i was really worried about you being all alone. how freaking amazing that you are there! keep updating. love you!